These hair dye trends are hot for 2024. But which is right for you?
By Diane Small
We’re living in crazy times. It’s hard to predict what will happen next week, let alone throughout the coming months! But one thing is clear for this year: naturally colored hair is pretty much passé.
All you need to do is take a glance at Instagram or Pinterest to see that barnets come in a rainbow of far-from-natural hues, or when they are leaning towards ‘natural,’ they’re much more intense versions of what nature bestows.
There are also loads of hair coloring techniques that are making hairdos really pop these days: ombré, babylights, balayage, and dip-dye, to name a few.
But what are the differences between these techniques? How do you get them, with non-toxic products? And which hair color is right for you?
Choosing the Right Hair Color For You
Before you choose a color for your hair, you need to consider which hues best suit your skin tone and complexion undertones: are you fair, medium or deep? Warm, cool, or neutral?
Here’s how to determine what undertones your skin may have:
- Look at the veins in your wrist. If your veins are blue, you’ve got cool undertones. Green? Warm. A mix? Neutral.
- Do you look better in gold or silver jewelry? Gold is warm, silver, cool.
- Try on a white and a beige tee-shirt. If you have warm undertones, the white tee makes your skin appear more yellow. If you have cool undertones, the beige tee makes your skin look washed out and grey.
When you’ve figured out your skin undertone, it’s time to learn which hair colors will look best on you.
Warm Skin Undertones
- Fair: copper, golden blonde, caramel
- Medium: ‘bronde’
- Olive: chestnut, cinnamon
- Deep: violet red or black, honey, caramel
Cool Skin Undertones
- Fair: icy platinum, baby blonde
- Medium: sand, wheat, and beige
- Olive: chestnut, cinnamon
- Deep: inky black, espresso, blue-black
Neutral Skin Undertones
- If you have olive skin, you most likely have a neutral skin undertone.
- If you have a hard time telling whether your veins are green or blue, you probably have a neutral skin undertone.
- You can rock pretty much any hair color you like!
Still not sure which skin tone you have? Check via the video below!
10+ Hair Dye Trends We Love For 2024
Just because a hair colour is huge right now doesn’t mean it’s right for you. After you’ve determined your skin tone, you can select from the trends below to see which best suits you.
Main image: latesthairstylepedia.com Instagram: @bescene
1. Capri Blue
For those wanting to make a bold statement heading into the new year, look no further than vibrant Capri blue! Seen at NYFW and on the streets, the Pantone Fashion Colour Trend Report* predicts this bold and blue hue is set to be huge for 2024.
Capri blue can be achieved either by applying an all over bleach, or highlights. Your stylist will first lift you hair and follow by applying the vivid colour. It’s important to share reference images to ensure your stylist can achieve the exact tone desired.
Capri blue will be easiest to achieve for those who already have light hair, because the darker it is, the more it will have to be lifted first to achieve the brighter tone. This lifting process can sometimes result in a warmer shade, so a colour correction can be required which does involve a longer process. Blue shades like this will stay in the hair for a lot longer but are still high maintenance.