This article may use affiliate links. Eluxe Magazine only links to products we trust.
By Diane Small
Chances are you’re no stranger to Instagram and YouTube makeup transformations. They can be almost addictive to watch: a plain Jane chirps into the camera about some new product she’s discovered, swipes some foundation here, dabs some concealer there, blends it all over, and bam — a face is completely transformed.
Sure some of the transformations are awe-inspiring, but most of the vloggers and bloggers aren’t aware of all the toxins they’ve just smeared all over their faces. From phthalates and parabens to perfumes and BPA and much, much more, cosmetics are normally choc-a-block with harmful ingredients, many of which are now being linked to cancer, hormonal disruption, skin rashes and more. Despite these discoveries, most old, established cosmetics companies are far too slow to change their ways, and continue to pump out their toxic sludge into packages they sell to us as ‘makeup.’
As a consequence, a crop of new, innovative brands are springing up, but unlike their larger (and more chemically laden) competitors, they don’t have easy access to large markets, and many consumers don’t know where to find them.
Until now, that is.
Sure, there are plenty of great sites out there selling beauty products online, including Eco Diva Beauty, Love Lula and more, but of course they can’t carry all the natural makeup brands out there. If you’ve ever wondered which makeup brands best deliver non-toxic gorgeousness to your face, these are them.
35 Of The Best Natural Makeup Brands
1. RMS Beauty: An amazing range of cosmetics founded by makeup artist Rose-Marie Swift who, after discovering her blood contained high levels of heavy metals from years of continual exposure to beauty products rich in things like lead and aluminium, decided to switch to all natural alternatives. RMS is filled with creamy foundations, amazing concealers, lipsticks, cheek balms and their all new ‘master mixer’ which will make you look like a shining, golden goddess.
2. Ecco Bella: This all natural beauty range includes organic products too. There’s something for every imaginable beauty need: perfume, makeup, skincare, hair care, body care, you name it! No wonder it’s a favourite brand with Miss Earths around the world.
3. PHB Ethical Beauty: There’s pretty much no type of makeup that this brand doesn’t do, and do well, at that. This British family run business uses only 100% naturally derived ingredients, and is the brand currently offering the world’s largest range of Vegan, Cruelty Free, Palm Oil Free, & Halal Certified beauty products. Get everything from them from mascara to lipstick, shampoo to body cream and so much more.
4. Axiology: These guys are highly specialised in one kind of cosmetic: lipstick. Their vegan friendly formulations not only come in a huge range of crazy beautiful shades, but their packaging is as luxurious and as well designed as the creamy concoctions within.
5. Jane Iredale: A line dedicated to make mineral makeup multi-functional, providing great results whilst also being good for the skin. They do some killer foundations and we especially love their primer which helps set foundation whilst providing a dewy finish.
6. Kjaer Weiss: Yet another inspiring story from founder and makeup artist Kristen who looked to develop a high performing cosmetic line that wasn’t harsh on women’s skin. Eight years on and the brand is so awesome, it has cult status – award-winning foundations and the first natural mascara we’ve found that actually works.
7. Vapor Beauty: Specialising in illuminator sticks and foundations, Vapor has become a celeb and makeup artist staple. With their huge range of products, there’s a perfect shade for every kind of complexion and skin type.
8. Celtic Complexion: Specifically formulated for fair complexions, this brand specialises in tinted foundations rich in natural SPFs. They match all fair skin tones perfectly and give you a nice little glow, too.
9. Josie Maran: The former model has made a great makeup range based on argan oil and other natural ingredients. From bronzers and lipsticks to cheek stains and foundations, this range is aimed at giving you the same Cali girl glow its founder is so well known for.
10. Lisa Noto: Famed for her richly pigmented lipsticks, this former model has a small but lovely range of natural makeup, including mascara, eye shadows and lipsticks. Based in Canada, she delivers worldwide.
11. Hynt Beauty: Hynt offers a comprehensive range of awesome primers, brushes, eye shadows, foundations, mascaras, you name it! They all come beautifully packaged, too. We’re pretty much obsessed with their award winning Peonies Please Aria lipstick and their Nocturne mascara in black, but there’s a lot more to choose from.
12. Lavera: One of the biggest brands and also one of the best, Lavera ensures all of its European made cosmetics are not only fully natural, but gorgeously functional too. Whatever your beauty needs, Lavera caters to it. And best of all, they’re super easy to buy: you can find them at Whole Foods, Amazon, Planet Organic and just about any decent health shop.
13. Mirror and Makeup: Born in England, this award winning brand gets top ratings from makeup artists and makeup lovers alike, for its pure, mineral based powders and lushly hued lipsticks and lip glosses.
14. Zuii Organic: OMG, we love this brand! Their lipsticks are absolutely tops – richly pigmented and they stay on all day. But their super-fine, durable, eyebrow shaping stick is one of our favourite things: containing natural waxes and pigments, it not only makes your brows look their lushest, but ensures they stay in place, too.
15. Pacifica: This well established brand is focused on formulating natural, safe, and sustainable products that are 100% vegan and cruelty-free. Everything in their extensive range, which encompasses lipsticks, perfumes, mascaras, eye shadows and more, is made using only natural ingredients such as soy wax and pure essential oils
16. 100% Pure: Yerba mate. Blueberries. Pomegranate. It sounds like breakfast, but these are actually but a few of the plant based ingredients that well-loved American brand 100% Pure loves to use in their makeup and skincare ranges. Their huge range is regularly updated – and regularly sells out!
17. Juice Beauty: From plant-derived skincare to makeup containing plant stem cells, Juice Beauty has it all. They combine the best that technology has to offer with treasures from the world of nature. No wonder it’s a favourite with celebs like Jessica Alba and Gwyneth Paltrow!
18. Afterglow Cosmetics: Bridging the gap between natural and high-fashion glam, Afterglow Cosmetics are made of a unique formula that blends mineral makeup with organically infused color to bring one of the most high-end natural makeups that you can find. Free of synthetic dyes, perfumes or preservatives, Afterglow Cosmetics are one of the most natural looks you can get when looking for a full spectrum of makeup needs.
19. Lippy Girl: Calling all vegans! This brand specialises in naturally pigmented, vegan friendly lipsticks made with organic and wild crafted natural oils and waxes. Basically, this is exactly the type of thing you should be putting on your mouth! Bonus: this is a seriously reasonably priced brand, too.
20. Dr Hauschka: One of the most renowned natural makeup companies in the world, this German-based company make luxurious cosmetics in a way that complements the biology of the skin and supports long-term skin health. No wonder this all natural line of makeup and beauty products is loved by women all over the globe! Personally, I adore their lipsticks because their pigments aren’t just natural, but they look natural, too. Great for your day look!
21. Sephora Natural & Organic Range: One of the largest and most well-known beauty companies in the world, Sephora has an amazing line of natural and organic makeup. Dedicated to the highest of quality, Sephora has now created its own extensive and exclusive line of all-natural products, which includes a huge variety of colours and products – you’d expect that from one of the world’s biggest beauty brands, right?
22. Tarte Cosmetics: A Shopping TV favourite, Tarte Cosmetics uses high performance natural ingredients in its skincare and makeup ranges. Unfortunately, we just learned that some products aren’t as natural as you’d think, but Tarte made it to our list because they’re still ‘cleaner’ than most high street brands, and they offer a rainbow of shades designed to match fashion trends. Tarte also has a variety of philanthropic projects too, so every purchase goes towards doing good for the planet, its people, and its animals, too.
23. Inika: Another brand to die for! Inika’s mineral and organic ingredients make for perfect powders, foundations, finishing products, lipsticks, eyeshadows, you name it. And their range of colours has something for everyone, no matter what your skin tone. Their packaging is also sleek and gorgeously inspirational.
24. Alima Pure: Alima Pure knows how hard it is to find the perfect foundation shade, and so they’ve come up with the perfect solution for letting you find your perfect match: you can get a sample set sent to your home that allows you to mix and match mineral makeup and pick the pigments that suit you best. Beyond foundation, they have a wide range of everyday makeup, for your cheeks, eyes and lips, too.
25. Lily Lolo: Lily Lolo is a British brand offering an expertly formulated range of high-performance, high quality mineral makeup must-haves to help you achieve flawless natural beauty. All products are free of any parabens, synthetic perfumes or dyes, but Lily Lolo is best known for their awesome eye makeups: eyeshadows, liners and their mascaras are a cult favourite!
26. Organic Pharmacy: Known mainly for their skincare ranges, Organic Pharmacy has also created OG makeup and perfumes – that stands for ‘organic glam’ and this gorgeously packaged, highly pigmented makeup lives up to its name. Bonus: they also make luscious natural perfumes!
27. Beautycounter: Founded with the intention of making organic skin care that looked as good on your nightstand as it worked for your face, this California-based line expanded to include makeup, hair care, and kid-friendly products. The brand’s site even has an extensive ingredient glossary to help you decode what’s good for you…and what’s not.
28. Elixery Cosmetics House: Hey, lipstick lovers! Be prepared to fall in love. These vegan-friendly lippies come in a variety of on-trend shades and provide gorgeously moisturising, sheer coverage, without any added nasty chemicals.
29. NAT Origin: Got sensitive eyes, prone to tears and redness? We’ve found your beauty solution, and it’s called NATorigin. This is a multi award winning, hypo-allergenic natural range formulated for extremely sensitive eyes and skin. Fully approved by Allergy UK to be beneficial to allergy sufferers, their great quality products, including eye shadows, liners and mascaras, are all designed to be as gentle as possible through a special production process while sourcing ingredients from natural (minimum 97%) and organic sources.
30: W3LL People: A Birchbox favourite, W3LL People is a natural makeup brand that was launched by a conscientious trio: NARS veteran and self-professed “makeup guru” Shirley Pinkson; James Walker, the “treehugger” who logged hours with a Fortune 500 company; and eco-conscious “skin doctor” Renee Snyder, M.D.
31. ILIA: Oh, Ilia, how I adore thee! This is a super sleek brand that uses bioactive ingredients to create a wide range of must-have cosmetics. These guys do lipsticks and foundations like no other, but we especially love their multi-sticks for a glossy finish for lips, eyes and cheeks.
32. Antonym: Fully certified as organic by Ecocert, Antonym’s vegan-friendly products use mineral pigments – even the eyeliner is enriched with maruba and jojoba oils, making this a great line for sensitive skin.
33. Odylique By Essential Care: I’ve long known about Odylique’s incredibly gentle body creams and washes, as I use them on my baby’s skin, but I had no idea they also did makeup, until now. Hooray! If you’re looking for non-irritating basics, including concealers, mascaras and foundations, this is your brand.
34. Ere Perez: Founded in 2004 by Mexican-born, Australian dwelling natural therapist Ere Perez, this comprehensive beauty range of toxin-free makeup is made from high quality certified Cruelty Free, all natural ingredients. You’ll find everything you could possibly want from a makeup range here – including vegan makeup brushes – all housed in minimalistic white packaging.
35. Adorn: Richly pigmented, mineral based eye shadows, foundations, blushers, lipsticks and more are on offer from this Australia based brand. We especially love their vegan makeup brushes, and the fact that they offer a sample pack for you to try the whole range before you buy!
Main and first images: David Reiss: www.davidreissphotography.com