This quinoa vegetable soup recipe is easy to make, cheap, and highly nutritious, too!
By Lora O’Brien
I don’t know about where you are, but we’re still in that in-between time weather-wise lately here in the UK.
We’ve had a few hot summers days, but then the wind and rain come wailing back to remind us that it’s still early spring. And of course, at this time of the year in the UK, we get tons of those notorious April showers!
In short, it’s time for some soup. Namely, a quinoa vegetable soup recipe.
What’s not to love about this soup? Firstly, it’s warm and comforting, and even when summer does arrive.
Secondly, this soup is super cheap to make. You can throw any vegetable into it, plus you can bulk it out to make it heartier by adding lentils, beans, potatoes, or even pasta!
Thirdly, it’s pretty hard to get wrong. Even if you’re a novice in the kitchen, it will always work.
Once again, I asked my pal Kathy from Kathy’s Vegan Kitchen if she could share with us a hearty, healthy and tasty soup recipe that we’ll all enjoy. And what did she come up with? Her Quinoa Vegetable Soup. And I’m already drooling!
This dish is a great way to add a superfood and vegetables to your meal. If you don’t have fresh veggies on hand (and why not? you can easily grow some in window boxes!), you can easily add frozen instead.
Vegan Recipe For Quinoa Vegetable Soup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large white or yellow onions, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
3 cups baby red potatoes, cut into quarters
1 zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cups greens of choice (I used kale)
1 15 oz can of pinto beans (or beans of choice) rinsed and drained
1 cup red quinoa (uncooked) or quinoa of choice
8 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Struggling to get nutrients into your diet since lockdown? I feel you! This soup is the tastiest way of eating healthier, plus it’s a great family-friendly recipe that even the kids and adults can enjoy! It can also be frozen, so you always have a super delicious soup on hand in your freezer. Just dethaw, reheat and go!
I suggest leaving 1-inch from the top of the container before freeing. Make sure to completely dethaw it completely before reheating to make sure the veggies and quinoa don’t overcook.
1. Start by prepping all of your ingredients. This makes it easier to throw together quickly. If using fresh veggies, chop everything into small chunks and combine in a bowl ready.
2. Saute the garlic, onions and celery until the onions turn translucent.
3. Add the potatoes to the pan and stir.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the kale and quinoa.
5. Bring the ingredients to a boil, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Add 1 cup of dry, uncooked red quinoa (or whatever colour you prefer) and return to a boil before covering again.
7. Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Remove cover and add the kale. Stir the soup until the greens are wilted.
9. Simply serve up and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed making this super simple chia seed recipe. And if you did, and want to make more delicious soups, click here for lots more soup inspo recipes!
- 40 Vegan Fakeaway Recipes Better Than Any Takeout! - Jun 2, 2020
- Brilliantly Boozy Vegan Cocktail Recipes - May 25, 2020
- 20 Cool Ways to Upcycle Mason Jars - May 23, 2020
Did you enjoy this post? Want to show your gratitude? Please support us on Patreon!