The many benefits of TENCEL lingerie may surprise you!
By Lora O’Brien
As a sustainable fashion magazine, here at Eluxe, we talk a lot about the clothes you wear. But today, we’re focusing on what exactly is going on under them! Yep, we’re talking lingerie here.
Underwear is often viewed as something we wear to look good, but many of us have never paid a second thought to whether it’s actually good for us. And what’s going on under our clothes matters. It’s the first item we wear every day, and it’s right next to our skin, so we need to pay more attention to what our underwear is made of.
Sure, organic cotton is fine and well and feels nice next to your bits. And with Valentine’s Day just around the corner, the benefits of lingerie made with TENCEL branded fibres may surprise you!
The benefits TENCEL fibres for lingerie
It’s a big title to carry being named ‘the fibre of the future‘ but that’s precisely what Austria-based eco-fibre producer Lenzing’s TENCEL brand has been referred to. And it’s genuinely no surprise. As well as exhibiting high flexibility, the innovative fibre is exquisitely soft and pleasant to the skin. And when TENCEL branded fibre is blended with other fibres, it significantly improves the softness in fabrics, enhancing overall comfort even after washing.
Using an environmentally responsible integrated pulp-to-fibre process, TENCEL branded modal and lyocell fibres are extracted from wood sources harvested from sustainably managed forests. The process is self-sufficient in energy and recovers co-products from component parts of the wood. Here are some of the top reasons we recommend buying lingerie made of this fibre.
- Softness Measurements and hand evaluations show that fabrics made with TENCEL Modal fibres are as soft as silk! This makes it the perfect material for close-to-skin garments like underwear. The softness is also made to last longer as it’s able to withstand more repeated wash and dry cycles, so you can guarantee longevity.
- Vibrancy No one wants to wear underwear the colour of dishwater, and there’s no fear of that with TENCEL branded modal fibres. The colour pigments of this material are made to retain long-lasting colour vibrancy, more so than conventionally dyed fibre, and are less prone to fade even after repeated washes.
- Breathability One thing we all want from our lingerie is breathability, right? Whether you’re seeking comfort in everyday life or post-workout, the TENCEL brand has you covered from all aspects of daily living. Not only does the fibre naturally manage the transportation of moisture, it helps to regulate body temperature, keeping you cool even after a sweaty gym session!
- Sustainable Production Unlike many synthetic and highly toxic materials, all TENCEL standard fibres are composed of natural materials and are biodegradable and compostable, therefore they can fully revert back to nature.
Our picks of lingerie brands using TENCEL
VYAYAMA is built upon the belief that the materials we use for our clothes should uphold the same standards we would choose for ourselves. The brand was founded with the intention of creating a natural alternative to synthetic activewear, creating items that inspire quality, beauty and joy.
VYAYAMA uses TENCEL fibres, which hold the shape of lingerie beautifully and are also kind to your skin and the earth. Their items created with TENCEL fibres are among their softest and most high performing in terms of moisture management, keeping you cool, healthy and comfortable.
When it comes to lingerie, VYAYAMA has two options: a softly sculpted triangle bralette which hugs the torso for support while it’s free from under-wiring, and their thong which is constructed with slim, smooth stretch straps for ultimate stylish comfort.
If being basic looks and feels as good as Organic Basics, we don’t want to be anything else! The eco-conscious brand develops minimalist basics for both men and women, with the environment at the forefront of everything they do. This means they only choose fabrics that care for our planet and their designs are made to last.
Organic Basics uses TENCEL fibres for their everyday essentials, from bralettes and panties to layering items such as vests. The fabric lends a silk-like feeling to the intimate items, giving them a subtle shine.
With their name inspired by designer Gale Epstein’s lingerie set crafted out of embroidered handkerchiefs, Hanky Panky is another TENCEL lingerie brand. Hanky Panky truly influences trends in both lingerie and sleepwear. Merging traditional designs with modern glam looks, Hanky Panky produces intimates from the best materials chosen for their specific stretch qualities, softness and fit.
Of course, Hanky Panky uses TENCEL fibres to create a whole range of intimates, from boy shorts and bikini bottoms to their famous thong design.
Another TENCEL lingerie brand is Jockey. Their ethos is very simple: to ingrain sustainability into everything they do. This includes using TENCEL fibres in a selection of their products, including underwear and sleepwear.
Items available with TENCEL fibres include full briefs, camis and bikini-style briefs. The styles are minimalist and sexy, yet soft and comfortable. Perfect for every day and nightwear.
Who better to crate intimate wear for women other than . . . women? Fleur’t is an ethical intimates brand whose eco-friendly and cloud-soft pieces are all created by women, designed for those that strive for both elegance and style. Love, comfort and sustainability are sewn into every single garment, which are inspired by peaceful mornings, relaxing afternoons and cosy evenings.
Whether you’re looking for an iconic robe, a lacy chemise or a boyshort set, Fleur’t has a lot to offer with their TENCEL lingerie range.
When it comes to sustainable fashion, Underprotection is a brand with ten years of experience under their belt. The purpose of the brand was to create underwear styles that make you feel – and look – your best. Combining ethics and aesthetics, their range is proudly challenging the conception of what sustainable fashion can be.
Underprotection has one of the most extensive ranges when it comes to their line of TENCEL lingerie. Whether you’re seeking bras, a statement bodystocking or a simplistically sexy pair of briefs, they cater to all your lingerie needs – and look great while doing so!
All image credits are courtesy of the brands. Images 1 and 2: VYAYAMA
- Our Top 10 Yoga Retreats Around the World - March 12, 2023
- Female Foodies: 10 Women Changing How We Eat - March 7, 2023
- Genderless Beauty Brands For You…And Him - February 28, 2023