This article may use affiliate links. Eluxe Magazine only links to products we trust.
By Arwa Lodhi
Who doesn’t want tighter, younger looking skin? We can get it through many ways: eating a healthy diet, exercising, cosmetics, and even high tech facial techniques. But some of the easiest and cheapest ways are sometimes best – yep, I’m talking about massage and facial yoga.
These are both pretty much ancient Indian ways of caring for the skin. Women on the subcontinent have long known that a gentle daily facial massage improves the skin’s circulation, giving it a healthy, youthful glow. As the circulation increases, it encourages the lymph glands to eliminate toxins, reducing puffiness and improving the overall complexion.
Facial yoga moves, on the other hand, not only increase circulation, but also work the muscles that help tighten your complexion. This allows you to avoid the jowls and sagging skin that come over time, thanks to the basic effects of gravity, along with the atrophying of the facial muscles – don’t forget it’s those muscles that hold up your skin! Once they begin to slack, your skin looks slack, too.
How To Do A Facial Massage
Ã¢â‚¬ ¢ Cleanse your face thoroughly, gently pat dry, and cleanse with Jojoba or Coconut oil, using a damp cloth
Ã¢â‚¬ ¢ Apply a small amount of your favourite aromatherapy facial blend to palms, massage gently into the face
Ã¢â‚¬ ¢ Begin from the centre of the brow and use upward, outward stokes, moving hands away from each other and swiping gently upwards. Gently pinch each eyebrow.
Ã¢â‚¬ ¢ Then move down to the below the eyes and pat the area directly under the eye with your ring finger several times. Going upwards, gently pinch the skin along your nose and between your eyes, then do the same going down.
Ã¢â‚¬ ¢ Don’t forget your chin and neck – start stroking from the centre of your chin, then move out and upwards and around to the back of the neck which is often a neglected area, holding a lot of tension
Ã¢â‚¬ ¢ Massage your ears too and the lobes this feels fabulous.
Finish the massage by holding your hands cupped, gently over your eyes and nose and breathing deeply. Check out this video below for some other techniques, too!
Now Try Some Simple Face Yoga Exercises
1. Puff out your cheeks, push air into your mouth and swop the air from one side to the other four times, release with an Oh! Repeat up to 5 times a day anytime you like, to help raise the cheeks.
2. Put your tongue on the top of your mouth and press your bottom lip over your top lip. Smile, then look up. Hold for a few seconds. Repeat three times. This will help firm the neck and chin.
3. Make your eyes wide, raise your eyebrows and stick out your tongue. Hold for up to 60 seconds and repeat up to ten times. This helps the neck and cheeks.
4. Purse your mouth into a tight O. Then, smile and squint your eyes, without allowing your mouth to move. Repeat 10 times to help tighten skin overall.
5. Clasp your hands to your face, and smile wide! Make sure your hands prevent your from actually smiling. The idea is for your facial muscles to work against your hands. Repeat 10 times to help tighten the facial muscles.
For these and more facial yoga exercises, watch the demonstration video below.