By Diane Small
Once upon a time, grannies used to pass household tips down the generations, like: ‘put nylons in the freezer to extend their life’. But let’s face it–new technologies and the need to save energy may have made some of those obsolete. So may we present our own version of granny’s household tips–or, ‘hacks’, if you will. Some of these you may know, some of them may be new, but all of them are guaranteed to help make your life a little bit easier, help you save money, time and energy–and they’re all eco-friendly, too!
20 Eco Friendly Life Hacks
1. Save energy and time cooling your drinks – wrap them in a wet cloth and stick them in the freezer until the cloth freezes.
2. On holiday? No headphones? No speakers? No need to buy cheap ones–this is just as good…kind of!
3. There is seriously never any reason to buy plastic clips. You already have some, in your closet!
4. Ready-made cup holders! Just drive barefoot.
5. Saves money on buying new dishes and energy on washing up–perfect for summer, too.
6. Keep razor blades sharp and fresh and extend their working life by running them across a denim jacket or pair of jeans.
7. Mobile phone fundamentals: putting it in Airplane mode charges it faster and uses less energy
8. It’s better to simply hang-dry clothing, but if you must use a dryer….
9. No need to trash old jeans just because the zipper keeps falling down. A safety pin and keychain loop will keep it up!
10. Keyboard lost a foot? Easily fixed!
11. Got limescale build up? No need for a new shower head–or harsh chemical cleaners!
12. Forget about looking for toxic varnishes and paints to fix up small chips in wood–a few rubs of walnut will do.
13. Still got some heat in your hair straighteners? Use them to iron out small clothing wrinkles.
14. Old toilet rolls can be put to good use in the tool shed, for many different tasks. Personally, I use them in drawers to organise stockings.
15. Running out of closet space? No need to buy a new wardrobe. This also helps co-ordinate matching trousers and jackets too!
16. Having a party? Don’t bother buying little paper cupcakes to bake with. This trick is not only fun, but if you add a dollop of ice cream on top of the cake, it also saves on washing up too!
17. Hitting the beach? On holiday? Out for a rather drunken evening of fun? Don’t worry about getting your money stolen–just hollow out an old lipstick tube and roll up your money there.
18. No need to buy new thongs if the toe breaks–this trick extends their life! Glue the bread clip for extra-long durability.
19. Never a need to buy a plastic shovel for your kid, or poop scoop to clean your cat’s litter box. Just recycle a milk or juice jug with a few clips!
20. No idea why people buy those little mini-vacuums for computers when a regular one and ketchup bottle top do the same thing!
Did you enjoy this post? Want to show your gratitude? Please support us on Patreon!