Using the best vegan strobing products the right way could radically up your beauty game!
By Sophia Hussein
Strobing is still one of the biggest beauty trends for this year – and no wonder. Whilst a good BB Cream can conceal a plethora of problems, a strategically placed highlighter will distract the eye from late-night sins. When well-executed, it brings on an effect that’s equivalent to having your very own lighting team with you, wherever you are.
In case you’re wondering about the difference between highlighting and strobing, the former is usually combined with contouring and is a bit more complex, whilst strobing is all about creating a 3D makeup look that stands alone. It typically leaves you with a dewy, glowing finish thanks to setting creams or serums mixed into the products.
You’ll need to find the right shade for your skin tone, and the right product texture for your skin type, be it in powder,liquid or cream form – with or without a shimmery effect. And of course, you’ll want to choose a from amongst the best vegan strobing products, like those below.
What you’ll need to start strobing
A fine vegan makeup brush for brows
A medium foundation brush for cheeks
A highlighting product (see below for our clean beauty picks)
How to do it
- Apply primer or a light moisturiser to your whole face.
- Apply your usual makeup – be it foundation, powder or just concealer.
- Apply your usual eye makeup.
- Use your fingers or a a medium brush to apply the highlighter, according to the instructions in our recommended video, below.
- Blend well.
- Highlight any part of your face that first hits the light, and/or you want to come forward – this will usually be the outer part of your cheekbone, the brow bone, tip of the nose and chin..
- Avoid putting highlighter on parts of your skin with lots of pores – it will make them look even larger.
- A bit of highlighter on the tip of the nose will give it a slightly ‘turned up’ effect
The Best Vegan Strobing Products
1. Tarte Tarteist Pro Glow Highlight & Contour Palette
If you like to experiment with makeup, you’ll love this complete contour kit! Each carefully selected shade is created from Amazonian clay, and is designed with undertones to mimic real reflections of shadow and light. Layer them fo the perfect buildable, shimmery strobing effect.micro-shimmer strobing effect.
Around $75 from Sephora.
2. Milk Makeup Face Gloss
This liquid highlighter has become a cult favourite due to the subtle, dewy finish it gives. It’s easy to use, too: just draw anywhere you want to apply highlights, then blend in with your fingertips until you’ve got a gorgeously 3D face.
Around $20. Get it here.
3. ILIA Illuminator
Enriched with the healing power of cocoa and shea butters, this highlighting stuck gives a shimmery, dewy finish. It comes in two shades: Polka Dots & Moonbeams, which is a brightening, pearly highlighter, or Cosmic Dancer, which gives a softer, warmer gold highlight.
Around $35 from Sephora.
4. Lavera Soft Glowing Highlighter
Made of 100% pure natural minerals and organic oils, waxes and pigments, this powdered highlighter is perfect for oilier skin. It nourishes the skin whilst bringing out your best features with a gentle shimmer.
Around $15. Get it here.
5. Tata Harper Very Illuminating Highlighter
This creamy highlighter is a cult favourite that’s perfect for making your skin look – and feel – great. It’s a hydrating cream that goes on sheer and gives your skin a smooth, plump look, thanks to high tech yet purely natural neuropeptide technology. Just dip your finger in and dot on to cheekbones, brow bones and the tip of your nose to give yourself a quick glow.
Get it here.
Main image: Karlie Kloss Instagram. Image 2: Ilia Beauty
- Hey, BB! The Best Natural and Organic BB Creams - February 21, 2023
- Say Eye Do! The Best Organic Eye Creams, Ever - February 15, 2023
- The Best Organic & Natural Hair Dyes For 2023 - January 24, 2023