Want to know what vegan Halloween candy to give out this year? Read on!
By Chere Di Boscio
Vegan Halloween candy is kind of a joke for some. It’s just assumed that vegans will be cackling behind the door with packs of apples and raisins as the go-to ‘candies’ that they give out. And actually, I can understand why. Very few commercial candy brands are vegan friendly, sadly. Consider this:
- chocolate candy brands are going to have milk, milk fat, or whey
- gummies and marshmallows are going to have gelatin
- some candies contain red dye made from cochineal insects
- bone char is sometimes included to make white pigment in white coloured candies
- shellac is sometimes used to make the exterior of candies shiny. It comes from the female lac bug
So, what IS ok for us to give out to tiny monsters?
Well, if you’re feeling ambitious, you can make your own Halloween candy. We have a bunch of vegan recipes here. It’s a lot easier to do than you think! You could make 3 ingredient toffee candies; popcorn balls, or bliss balls, for example.
Vegan Halloween Candy To Give This Year
Alternatively, we’ve compiled a list of common candy brands that are vegan friendly. That being said, fun size snacks can have different ingredients from full sized ones, and ingredients may change, depending on regions, please always check the labels!
In North America, these are some of the most common vegan Halloween candy brands that are good to give out this year. Not healthy, but cruelty-free, at least!
- Hubba Bubba Gum
- Pixy Stix
- Ring Pops
- Panda Licorice
- Jolly Ranchers
- Red Vines
- Fruit Roll Ups
- Dum Dums
- Fun Dip
- Sweet Tarts
Of course, you can also give out savoury stuff, too, like snack sized bags of chips and popcorn. Or yeah – you could be ‘that’ person who gives out little packs of raisins and trail mix! I know what I’ll be distributing….and it’s gonna be healthy!
What vegan Halloween candy do you plan to give out this year? Let us know in the comments, below!
- Chic & Conscious Fashion Shoot By The Eco Studio - Oct 29, 2020
- WIN 1 of 3 Brushworks Skincare Gift Sets - Oct 24, 2020
- How Green Is The New Circular Fashion Range By ASOS? - Oct 23, 2020
Did you enjoy this post? Want to show your gratitude? Please support us on Patreon!