Missing takeout food? Bored? Hungry? Try making this skinny black bean avocado wrap recipe – it’s just like a Taco Bell Crunch Wrap Supreme!
By Lora O’Brien
Has lockdown got you opening and closing the kitchen cupboards hoping something yummy will magically materialise? I feel you. You’re probably dreaming of your favourite takeout, wondering when it will be that you’ll next get to enjoy it.
Well, if you’re a Mexican food fanatic like me, then you’ll be drooling as you fantasize over a Crunch Wrap Supreme. But not the type you can get at Taco Bell, oh no! Thanks to Kathy over at Kathy’s Vegan Kitchen, she’s sharing her favourite vegan recipes with us for a few weeks to help us all get through quarantine, and the first recipe we’re making is: a Skinny Black Bean Avocado Wrap recipe that’s basically just like The Crunch Wrap Supreme.
This hits all of my food cravings: a crunchy tortilla shell, lots of veggies and a gooey vegan cheese sauce. All while remaining a helluva lot healthier than the fast-food takeout option, as this one requires zero oil for cooking, and of course, because you can choose to use all organic ingredients.
How to Veganize the CrunchWrap Supreme
First things first: choosing your burrito ingredients. The traditional Taco Bell CrunchWrap Supreme is a usually a grilled tortilla filled with seasoned ground beef, a tostada shell, nacho cheese sauce, sour cream, diced tomatoes and lettuce – gross! This vegan version uses cooked brown rice as the ‘main’ ingredient, but you could use a soy mince if you wanted to make it as authentic as possible.
Next, if you don’t want to make your own Skinny Nacho “Cheese” Sauce, vegan store bought cheese will work. In a pinch, I prefer to use Follow Your Heart slices, not the shreds. For some reason, the slices melt and taste better than the shred, and we all want that ooey, gooey vegan cheesiness, right!?
The onions and tomatoes in the salsa add the ‘crunch’ element to the wrap, so if you’re not able to get your hands on your favourite store-bought salsa, worry not. This Skinny Pico de Gallo salsa is super easy to make and requires minimal ingredients and effort to make it delicious!
You can use pretty much any bean you want in this dish, although black beans or pinto beans are my personal favourites to use.
Finish it off with some homemade guac and vegan sour cream and this wrap will be the best damn thing you’ve ever eaten!
Are you drooling yet? I think you’re ready to make it! Here’s what you’ll need:
4 large whole wheat burrito tortillas, plus 4 small tortillas (or one cut into four equal quarters)
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup Skinny Nacho “Cheese” Sauce
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 Avocados, pit removed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 yellow onion
1. Prep all of your vegetables beforehand so that they’re ready to go. Dice your onions and tomatoes and cut the avocado into bite-size pieces. If you’re using rice, make sure it’s cooked ready.
2. Lay one tortilla on a plate surface.
3. Place 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice in the middle of the tortilla.
4. Place 1/4 of the can of black beans on top of the rice.
5. Continue with 1/4 of the remaining ingredients.
6. Lay a single small tortilla or a quart of an extra large tortillas on top of the ingredients in the center.
7. Fold the tortilla around the ingredients in a circular motion, meeting the small tortilla or quartered tortilla you used for the center.
8. Heat a non-stick pan for oil-free cooking on a medium-low heat.
9. Place tortilla folded side down first; this will help seal the folds and stop the food inside from escaping.
10. Cook for about 7 minutes. Before flipping it over, lift to make sure it’s lovely and golden underneath.
11. Gently flip crunch wrap over.
12. Cook another 7 minutes, checking to make sure it is golden brown.
13. Make remaining 3 (You could cook them in separate pans if you’re cooking for more than one person, and wanting to all enjoy your food at the same time!)
14. Serve with salsa or guacamole or if you’re anything like me . . . . BOTH!
Yield 4 servings
Serving Size 1 wrap: Calories 470 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 34 mg Sodium 452 mg Carbohydrates 129g Fiber 38g Sugar 3g Protein 54g
I hope you enjoyed making this skinny black bean avocado wrap version of Taco Bell’s CrunchWrap Supreme. And if you did, feel free to use the hashtag #eluxerecipes on social media so that we can all see and enjoy your yummy recreations.